Kalanchoe is abundant in alkaloids, glycosides, triterpenes, flavonoids, lipids, and steroids. The leaves are one of the most nutrient-dense parts of this wonder plant and are a rich source of compounds called bufadienolides. What makes them extremely effective is their structure that’s quite similar to two cardiac glycosides – digitoxin and digoxin.
Composition of Kalanchoe Leaf Extract
The Kalanchoe leaves contain:
- P-hydroxybenzoic acid,
- 24-epiclerosterol [24(R)stigmasta-5, 2-dien-3 β-oI],
- 5 α-stigmast-24-en-3 β-oI and 25-methyl-5 α-stigmast-24-en-3 β-oI and 25-methyl-5α-ergost-24 (28)-en-3 β-oI,
- Amino acids including Glutamic acid, hydrolysate, tyrosine, methionine, and phenylalanine
- bersaldegenin-1, 3, 5-orthoacette (A cytotoxic compound)
Kalanchoe Leaf Extract (Biological Activity)
Kalanchoe is one of the few well-researched plants and that explains many of its medicinal benefits. All its uses and benefits (both internal and external) are backed by extensive research. Kalanchoe leaves have been shown to possess powerful antibacterial, antifungal, anti-insecticidal, and antiviral properties. Let’s take a look at each one of these in more detail.
1. Antibacterial: The leaves have been shown to possess significant antibacterial properties effective against many pathogens including Staphylococcus, E. coli, Shigella, Bacillus, and Pseudomonas to name a few.
2. Anticancer: Kalanchoe is rich in compounds called Bryophyllin that have been proven very effective for fighting cancer cells. Studies have shown that the chemical Bersaldegenin-1, 3, 5-orthoacetate is effective for inhibiting cell cancer growth in many types of cancers.
3. Antiparasitic: Kalanchoe leaves extract, applied topically or taken internally, is an effective remedy for the treatment and prevention of leishmaniasis regardless of whether the disease is present in animals or humans. According to a study, its effectiveness can be attributed to the presence of Quercetin in Kalanchoe leaves which is an effective antileishmanial flavonoid.
4. Anti-allergic: Besides possessing incredible antibacterial properties, Kalanchoe has been traditionally used to treat coughs and upper respiratory conditions. This can be attributed to the anti-allergic and antihistamine compounds present in Kalanchoe leaf extract. In a study, Kalanchoe leaf juice has been shown to protect subjects (guinea pigs and rats) because of its ability to block histamine receptors.
5. Anti-inflammatory: Another study has shown that Kalanchoe has natural anti-inflammatory, muscle relaxant, and pain-relieving properties. The potent anti-inflammatory properties of kalanchoe can be attributed to its immunosuppressant and immunomodulatory effects.
6. Wound healing: According to this study, Kalanchoe leaves contain two very effective compounds namely Hydroxyproline and Quercetin. While Hydroxyproline helps speed up the wound healing wounds process, Quercetin has antioxidant and neuroprotective effects.
Let’s face it – all types of natural ingredients are not always safe and effective. But when it comes to kalanchoe, evidence suggests that it is one of the safest and highly potent ingredients out there to improve your skin and health in multiple ways.
Traditionally, Kalanchoe leaf extract was used to treat and prevent fever. But, recent studies have demonstrated its ability to treat serious infections like drug-resistant malaria parasites.
The good news is that gone are the days when these high-quality plant extracts were only reserved for the select few. Today, you can reap the therapeutic benefits of the finest quality Kalanchoe leaf extract for your skin by including trustworthy products like Zali’s cleansers and toners in your skincare routine.
If you are looking for the highest-quality skincare products containing Kalanchoe extract in their purest form, be sure to check our range of skincare products here.